Which is the point of the whole exercise. You do not need a merchant
account. You do not need a separate payment gateway. Stripe takes care of
that.

Given the amount of pain and suffering and time it takes to deal with
merchant accounts, the hidden fees, and paypals mission to make customer
support hell I gladly pay a bit more.