I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything.
This a modest proposal to introduce sync APIs in Node.js

A lot of people would like to use Javascript for their web backend, but
don't want to program in an async style (I believe those reasons have
already been discussed at length).

As it stands right now, it is practically impossible to program in Node.js
in a sync style, since most core modules and native extensions only provide
an async interface.

I believe there would be an easy way to change the status quo without
impacting developers who chose to adhere to a strict async style. The
solution I propose is simply a pattern for writing I/O APIs: every I/O call
should be async *unless* no call back is supplied, in which case the I/O
call should be sync and use return / throw statements instead of calling a
callback.

There is probably a flaw in my reasoning since I'm probably not the first
one to come up with this pattern. That being said, I think it would be an
elegant way to make both async/sync fans happy while keeping all the
backend JS community focused on one project rather than fragmenting the
community in multiple CommonJS server implementations.

Thoughts?