>   I think it is still interesting to use Javascript for backend
development even without the async stuff.

I'm sure there will be sync web servers based on javascript.  Node isn't
going to be one though.  It goes against the grain of everything node is.
 And I wouldn't want node developers spending time supporting something
like this.  I (we) need them to continue what they are doing.

You know that you can run V8 javascript from PHP now, right?  I would bet
there are ways to run javascript cgi from apache.