> things like hard real-time, complex math, etc.

To elaborate on the math aspect: Because of the significant js/C
barrier and the need for optimized code, node is a poor choice for
significant computation. I would recommend python and numpy/scipy for
this kinda stuff.

One approach you may consider is to use node to manage basic web ui
stuff, and then use the child_process module to shell out to workers
written in more appropriate languages as necessary. For a scientific
application this would probably even be a good fit.

> The extra learning curve of a new language and framework will just get
in the way of getting things done.

There's definitely a truth to this. When I did my masters, the biggest
lesson was that your time is worth *way* more than both money and
cool-factor. Flask might be boring but it's worth it if you're able to
ship faster in the short term (and with the timescale of a masters you
definitely want to be thinking short-term). Just something to think
about.

--Josh

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 12:20 PM, Ben Noordhuis <i...@bnoordhuis.nl> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Igor Skoric <sk.i...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It will be a suite of tools for a geological lab. I plan to create a simple
>> customer/project management suite and plug in a handful of applications for
>> different processes. If you would like to recommend a different (but cutting
>> edge) technology for this I would also be grateful.
>
> Igor, see my previous email. node.js may or may not work for you. If
> you're already familiar with, say, flask or django, I'd go with that.
> The extra learning curve of a new language and framework will just get
> in the way of getting things done.

Joshua Holbrook
Engineer
Nodejitsu Inc.