On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 5:34 PM, Joshua Holbrook <josh.holbr...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Python has a python/c barrier yes, but python's runtime is better
> equipped to handle crossing the boundary with low overhead because it
> was written with that use case in mind. v8, on the other hand, is
> optimized for running javascript code and so making the jump back and
> forth is considerably more effort for the vm.
>
> I'm sure someone with more experience with node C bindings (or python
> C bindings for that matter) could give a more technical explanation.
> I'm more of an end-user and not as much a developer when it comes to
> such bindings.

I'm familiar with Node's C++ bindings and I'm very familiar with Perl's C
interface (XS) and the overheads of passing objects back and forth there.
And Perl was designed very similarly to Python in that sense. The answer is
there's not that much difference between Node and Perl in that respect, and
I haven't seen any reason the equivalent to NumPy (or PDL which is the Perl
equivalent) couldn't be built in Node from my knowledge of the internals.

Not that this exists now, or is even in the scope of a masters thesis, but
I'm just saying it's not something that can't be done, it just hasn't been
done yet, IMHO.

Matt.