On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 2:00 AM, Isaac Schlueter <i...@izs.me> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Oliver Leics <oliver.le...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The PLUS is now a MINUS as it came out that it is _not_ the missing
>> NODE_PATH env var that makes the installation of dtrace-provider fail
>> on a LinuxDebian box.
>
> No, my guess is that it's the lack of DTrace on Linux that makes it fail.

Yes, it fails because of this. Nevertheless restify should install.

But the good news is: Problem solved for me, see
https://github.com/isaacs/npm/issues/2546

>> OT & @Isaac: Please see https://github.com/mcavage/node-restify/issues/161
>> "That's a general feature request for npm (i.e., install X without Y)."
>
> Probably not going to happen.  I could see a use for a "Never even try
> to install package xyz" type of option in npm, but it should be a
> feature request, and would need some discussion to flesh out exactly
> how it works.

I don't like to fill blacklists.

> In most cases (including, in my opinion, this one) an
> optionalDependency is exactly the right fit.

I see it the same way for dependencies that are okay to fail on install.

But, for example, I saw your commit to tako that makes socket.io
optional by a try-catch. How to state in package.json that socket.io
can be used but must be installed by hand?