On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Ken Whitesell <kenwhites...@comcast.net>wrote:

> On Sunday, July 1, 2012 2:55:05 PM UTC-4, Mariusz Nowak wrote:
>>
>> n promises approach asynchronous state is represented with the object, so
>> instead of registering single callback, you get the object, which you can
>> pass to many different functions, or on which you can listen for value with
>> many different listeners. Promises also provide clean separation of success
>> and error flows. It's much more powerful than plain callbacks, but also
>> takes some time to get familiar with that. Once you get it, you will never
>

> Superficially, this looks a lot like Python's Twisted framework with how
> they work with deferreds and callbacks. Are you familiar with it? Are the
> parallels appropriate, or is there something significantly different that
> I'm missing here? (I've been working with twisted for over 5 years now, so
> I'm _really_ comfortable with it.)

Both Twisted deferreds and the Q promise library are based on E's
promises[1]. Twisted is only about support for local asynchrony, whereas
E's and Q's promises, for the same cost, also provide for distributed
secure object programming.

[1] http://erights.org/talks/promises/paper/tgc05.pdf

  Cheers,
  --MarkM