Best thing to try, add --nouse_idle_notification to the node command line,
this disables the full garbage collects when node tells V8 it thinks its
idle, but V8's garbage collection it does on every allocation should still
take care of collecting garbage.  Give that a try, watch the RSS in top or
your favorite process monitor to make sure it's still garbage collecting
(doesn't just leak), and hopefully the stalls will also go away.  We found
this totally eliminated the giant garbage collect stalls and did not
noticeably impact process memory usage in our application.