Just curious why you need the comments in the AST at all? If you've got the
start position & length of every token in the AST (much easier to do) you
implicitly have the comments as well. The "fiber" engine in Streamline (
https://github.com/Sage/streamlinejs/blob/master/lib/fibers/transform.js)
does this with really good results.