On Sep 17, 2012, at 03:09, Nico Kaiser wrote:
> Ben Noordhuis wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 9:55 PM, Brian Gruber wrote:
>>> It also appear that RSS grows to fill up available memory but doesn't seem
>>> hit an OOM. It just stays at a very high memory usage.
>>
>> That's intentional. The V8 garbage collector tries very hard to do as
>> few sweeps as possible and it does that by growing the heap where
>> possible. The larger the heap is, the less V8 has to scavenge for
>> memory when new objects are created.
>
> So this is what I was hoping. I agree with Ben, when a machine has enough
> memory, it should be used.
> Lots of free memory are useless ...
>
> So we can "ignore" this "problem", as it is no leak (and thus not causing the
> process to crash with OOM)...

So do I understand correctly: a node program could use up all the computer's
memory?

If I then need to launch additional programs, will node notice this and reduce
its memory usage so that the new program doesn't incur virtual memory penalties?

Is there a memory size at which this becomes a performance problem—for example
what if I run a node app on a server with 128GB of RAM?