I'm surprised at the confusion re: ricks point, it seems to center
around the word "optimized"...

I believe the point is that typescript enforces optimizable code
writing practices upon the developer.

Passing in a string to a function that expects a string and only works
with it as a string avoids implicit type coercian.

If there is no type coercian, not only have we saved the interpreter
an additional step (or steps), but it allows for runtime optimizations
(eg in the underlying C or even underlying assembly code) to be made
that would not be possible if implicit type coercian was neccessary.

I wont be using Typescript at this time - but its existence and this
discussion has made me think more about the way I use types.

A really awesome tool would be one that requires no extra verbage, but
works in the same "intellisense" way - saying things like "Are you
sure you mean this?" .... like a JSHint in the editor... wait I think
this already exists. Anyways, JSHint  type guessing capabilities would
rock.

A final point, I don't think TypeScript should be classed as a
language, strictly speaking - its more of a... *waves hands* ..
precompilation syntax overlay.

That's possibly why there has been some confusion... calling it a
language makes you think it works like at has the same general purpose
as Javascript or Python or whatever, when it doesn't.

It's simply the complimentary linguistic interface to the whole
intellisense idea. Its a tool, not even a tool, *part* of a tool... so
I wouldn't call it a language,