Luke,

That's a good point, I should have made the costs more clear initially.

In this case, the cost of delaying until 0.12 is that we delay what I
consider to be one of the 2 main features of 0.10.  Those features
are:

1. The Streams API is consistent across node, used wherever
appropriate, and easier to extend.
2. HTTP/TLS are less crappy by default.

The only change is that crypto methods that previously expected a
binary string by default will expect a buffer by default, just like
every other function in node, and that methods that return a binary
string by default will return a buffer by default, just like every
other function in node.

So, this is not a zero-benefit change (as sys/util was), and it's not
zero-cost to keep (as sys/util was).  I don't feel like an idiot
trying to explain to someone why their program requires them to add a
new 'binary' argument (or refactor to use Buffers).  And, unlike the
sys module, very few people actually use these APIs directly.

The cost of keeping it as it is, or delaying until 0.12, is that it
continues to be a confusing pain-point for users, and an awful
overly-complicated part of the code.  At least in master today, you
can pass 'buffer' as an argument to get a buffer out of it, which
previously was impossible.  But it's still

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM, Ege Özcan <ege...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Crypto API breaking can create security problems.

Sorry, that's FUD.  Show me a use-case where that's the case, and
we'll figure out what is the best way to handle it.

> Also something marked as
> "stable" which stops working in the next version is not good for any
> project. I'd go for the option b.

Overdue:
https://github.com/joyent/node/commit/99b2368a6cd408e75850ac73585de8800e2a10a1

That doesn't mean that it's necessarily going to change in 0.10.  But
it was a mistake to call something stable that is such an odd wart on
the Node API.