I've been using since before it was popular.  Back in the early days,
the docs for node were full of references to linux man pages like
this.  My background was scripting languages and I had never done any
C programming so I had no clue what readdir(3) meant.   To open a file
back then you had to manually bitwise OR the various unix flags
together yourself. (Using "r", "w", "a", etc was an addition I made)

Things now are much easier for people without a C background and there
are many fewer parts left in the docs that assume knowledge of man
pages.

That said, I did eventually figure out it was referencing man pages.
I was a linux user after all, I had just never used man to lookup C
APis.

How about we just link to one of the man mirrors in the API docs?  I
was an experienced linux user and I still didn't know what the docs
were talking about, I can only imagine how confused windows users
would be.