I totally agree with Tim & SL here.

I think the argument: "If you google'ed you'd find out" is invalid. The
same argument could be used for almost every question in this mailing list.

To keep away from over-documenting I agree with Tim, at least there
should be a link to an online man page.
But I also find the "user variables" term misleading. I dont know whats
the official term, but i always refer to them as "environmental variables".

danmilon.