I agree with what you are saying Tim, just adding a couple comments.

On Wednesday, 31 October 2012 11:16:10 UTC-5, Tim Caswell wrote:

> Go through the node API, it's not that big. http://nodejs.org/api/
> And for each item, find a corresponding browser API that provides the
> same abilities.  Some problems I can see right away are:
>
> fs.*.  I'm not aware of any browser API that lets web pages read and
> write a user's hard-drive

The File API (http://www.w3.org/TR/FileAPI/) is a working draft for being
able to manipulate local files, but obviously this can be sandboxed (or not
allowed). It is being implemented in modern browsers. (
http://caniuse.com/#feat=fileapi)

> net.* While there are tcp clients coming to browsers, I have yet to
> see any standard that allows binding to a port and listening on it.
> child_process.*  I'm pretty sure the browser doesn't allow a web page
> to create arbitrary processes and execute them

These are obviously harder, but Firefox OS is building on ideas started by
phonegap to provide API's for doing these other types of things.

web workers would be a way of spawning new execution (but obviously not as
rich as processes).

In the context of creating new rich browser apps that have access to things
previously reserved for desktop apps, I think these new API's (Firefox OS
and phonegap/cordova) are exciting.