Choose either, I do things in callback style personally to match the
ecosystem when I write libraries, thats the expectation of the ecosystem.

For application logic, do whatever makes it faster. There are exactly 0
absolute wins on either side. I can go on at length about the reason both
have pitfalls, but they both do. Programming is about compromise generally,
this is no different. Readability at the code of some interesting shared
state, go promises. Explicit state at the cost of repetitive error handling
(much alleviated with domains), go callback.

Just remember for small cases of N terrible sorts are faster than sorts
that have better O notation. For different problems, use different
solutions.