This is good approach, but only for final applications, you should never
commit dependencies into repositories of resuable (generic) modules.

I have great experience with that, and to me it's the *only* way to assure
that installation of application is straightforward and the only way to
make sure that your project is installed in designated places as you expect.

First thing: You don't rely on npm repository state. That's not just about
npm uptime, but mind that any package may be removed or replaced (even
specific version of package may be replaced by the author with different
code). Imagine that after one year of finished development you want to
install project and you depend on npm state from year before, there's a
chance that you'll run into problems.

Second thing: You don't rely on the network, therefore you can easily
install your product being behind firewall which may block connection to
npm repository.