There was a blog post on the node.js blog comparing the npm-shrinkwrap and
node_modules approaches:

http://blog.nodejs.org/2012/02/27/managing-node-js-dependencies-with-shrinkwrap/

Basically, checking node_modules into git works fine until you need to use
a binary module, or a module with a binary dependency. You don't want to
check in binary files if your server is on a different platform than your
development environment. You can hack around it by adding rules to
gitignore the binary files and running "npm rebuild" when you deploy, but
npm-shrinkwrap is cleaner and simpler, in my opinion.

Feross

 If you check in the binary, then your code won't run  actually be checking
in binary filesyou use a binary