As long as I have a say in the matter, package.json file will always
be json.  If anything, future versions of npm and node will *remove*
features rather than add them.  (I'm looking at you, `scripts.install`
;)

That being said, I completely understand the desire to put additional
data into your JSON configuration files.  That's why the "//" key will
never be used by npm for any purpose, and is reserved for comments.

If you want to use a multiple line comment, you can use either an
array, or multiple "//" keys.

{ "//": "this is the first line of a comment",
  "//": "this is the second line of the comment" }

{ "//": [
  "first line",
  "second line" ] }

If your editor doesn't display this to your satisfaction, then fix
your editor.  Vim, emacs, sublime text, textmate, and most other
editors support custom extensions and color schemes.  Some of those
are even open source, so you can really go nuts if you want to.

You're not a bad person if you use comments in your configs.  I would
tend to read that as a code smell, but the world is a complicated
place, and we all sometimes do things we're not proud of.  If you need
to add comments to your JSON config file, consider if perhaps the keys
are not understandable enough, or if there is some more semantic way
to express what you're trying to do.

(The point was made about comments in code.  I have the same opinion
there: comments are a sign of an overly complicated or poorly
understood design.  But often it's the lesser evil.)

Any pull requests to Node, npm, or read-package-json which add
pre-formatting, cson, package.js, #-comments, etc, will be rejected.
Patches unwelcome.