[Postlethwaite <post.ben.h...@gmail.com> (2013-01-25 17:29:52 UTC)]

> > The forward Euler step is employed for simplicity and speed
> > Please please please use RK4 instead of foward Euler, it's way way
> > more accurate. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RK4
>

> Ha, of course I should be using RK4! But it's slower [...]

Actually, I think it's likely to be (much) faster for the same
accuracy, since you can use a bigger step size. But of course, it's a
little bit more programming.

> I mean, you have to understand that for many problems in scientific
> > computing, the matrices are large enough that you really want to bust
> > out C and fortran libraries.

Indeed. But scientific computing needs vary a lot, from the stuff you
do with a calculator and the back of an envelope, to the really hard
problems that require supercomputers. And as hardware (and javascript)
gets faster, the boundaries keeps moving, and you can do more with
simple means as time passes.

- Harald