Unless you are using the servlet 3 spec, Java is going to consume one
thread per request. This is a huge limitation for many applications.

Both scala's playframework and node.js can respond asynchronously. If you
want to *sell* that to your team, mention that. If you really are designing
a central router, a synchronous request model seems like a major bottleneck.