I tend to use the binaries posted on nodejs.org instead of the binaries in
the debian/ubuntu repos.  Here is how I get the latest node for a new linux
server I'm setting up:

    wget http://nodejs.org/dist/v0.10.1/node-v0.10.1-linux-x64.tar.gz
    tar -xvf node-v0.10.1-linux-x64.tar.gz
    cd node-v0.10.1-linux-x64
    rm *
    chown -R tim /usr/local
    rsync -a ./ /usr/local/

Notice that I chown /usr/local to my user so that I can then use node and
npm without sudo.  If you don't want to mess with global installs, then the
nvm script I wrote is great for switching between versions within your home
directory. <https://github.com/creationix/nvm>