As I see it, npm is 3 things right now:

1. a registry (single namespace by design, never going to change, fine)
2. a package manager (works with npm registry and recently gh user/repo,
great!)
3. a module discovery platform (but sadly, only for the npm registry)

Let's just fix #3 to include user/repo projects. That is all it needs to be
full and complete. Otherwise me and other people will continue to bug you
until the end of time :) this issue isn't going to go away, it's only going
to get worse as more people make more modules IMHO.

Also, I was looking at the Most starred in npmjs.org website. Here they are:

136 express
62 request
60 async
50 socket.io
49 mocha
45 grunt
41 underscore
36 jade
34 redis
33 connect

>From these 10 modules, 4 have proper naming that kinda describe what
they're about (request, async, socket.io and redis). 1 is kinda misleading
(connect), and the rest have fancy names because it's just not creative to
name a web framework 'server' or a test framework 'test' or a template
library 'template'. They need to stand out because of their nature and be
memorable. But common tasks favor first-comers because it's the thing that
people will type when searching for something and it will come up at the
top. If I want to make an http request module I don't see the problem
naming it 'request' as well since that's what it does.

Not all cases are the same and for some projects fancy names are o.k. and
for some other projects (usually single function ones) you just want them
to communicate their purpose so that the code is less obscure. You say
you'll be frustrated if you see require('request') and it isn't
'mikeal/request' but I'm equally frustrated when I read 'chaos' 'maga'
'jjw' 'slag' and have to dig in npmjs.org to find out what each one does.