I did read the thread

I forgot that npm can install direcly from a repo ... I never do that.

While the single name space of the npm repo does create a scarce resource,
I think that a prefix or suffix on a module with a general name is ok.

ver merge = require('foo-merge')

makes it clear which merge module you are using in your code and allows the
code to be readable