At the risk of making things worse, I don't think this is that bad George.
I think the responses you've gotten here have been pretty much in line with
what you asked. You got a little negativity, but not a lot. And it was good
for you to expand on your ideas because your initial message didn't really
convey the right things. This conversation was helpful for me, and I'm sure
a few other people, in thinking about what we could do to move the
ecosystem forward. Lots of people are aware that discoverability sucks and
that git integration is becoming pretty important for lots of people.

I wish Isaac wouldn't be so quick to drop hammers on people's discussions
by holding forth on what node/npm is or isn't going to do. (I've talked to
him about it, but he's pretty stubborn). I can also see a world where
npmjs.org supported searching a more expanded set of modules. It wouldn't
be that difficult to visually differentiate between modules in the registry
and those located somewhere else. And I actually think it might have some
positive impact in that people would be more aware that they don't have to
depend on what's in the npm registry. It's just one source of modules for
the node ecosystem and there can be others. This is kind of orthogonal to
the naming argument though. I tend to agree with Isaac there. You should
name your modules uniquely. And if that's the only thing that's keeping you
from publishing to the registry, that's a red herring.

Unfortunately, Isaac has different ideas about what he wants to do with
npmjs.org. And since he is the node police, that means if we want
something, we'll have to either convince him otherwise, or build it outside
of what he's doing. Many people might not know, but they are working on
enhancements to npmjs.org that help with discoverability. If we had more
info about what that looked like, it might give us some ideas. Or people
can decide to build their own thing. Essentially what I'm hearing is you
want an extended search index that includes npm registry modules and github
repos that represent node modules. We'd need to be able to tell the
different between the 2, and have a way to explicitly publish github repos
to this system. As Isaac said, this isn't a trivial undertaking. And people
should keep this in mind when they casually ask for the core team to take
on doing something like this. But it's doable if people really want it and
are willing to put in some work. You are not bound by what the npm core
team decides to support.

:Marco

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 3:15 AM, George Stagas <gsta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/5/28 Isaac Schlueter <i...@izs.me>:
> >> How many disputes do you receive per month?
> >
> > Usually less than 2 per month.  But I have no way of knowing how often
> > authors talk amongst themselves if they already have some sort of
> > relationship.
> >
> >>  Is there a mailing list or something where I can see ownership changes
> and reasons for such changes?
> >
> > No.  The ownership of an author's modules is their own business.  I
> > only get involved when absolutely necessary.
> >

> >> 3. a module discovery platform (but sadly, only for the npm registry)
> >> Let's just fix #3 to include user/repo projects.
> >
> > Sorry, George, that's exactly what I'm saying I *won't* do, ever.  The
> > word "just" there is particularly odd, as if doing so would not
> > involve a significant amount of work, or have a significant amount of
> > side-effects.  On the contrary, it would be a tremendous amount of
> > work with wide-ranging side effects.  It's never going to happen.
> > You're asking for confusion, and I won't do it.
> >

> >> You say you'll be frustrated if you see require('request') and it isn't
> 'mikeal/request' but I'm equally frustrated when I read 'chaos' 'maga'
> 'jjw' 'slag' and have to dig in npmjs.org to find out what each one does.
> >
> > So, then just don't use modules that have stupid names.  How is
> > "merge" any less vague than "chaos"?  What is it merging?  Is it for
> > doing three-way merges a la git, or merging JS objects, or applying
> > patch files, or merging edits from multiple sources using functional
> > transforms?  I have no way of knowing from that name.
> >
> > Be as descriptive as you need to, using as many words as necessary,
> > until the name is unique.  You can always do `var merge =
> > require('object-deep-merge')` or `var merge = require('string-merge')`
> > or `var merge = require('git-style-three-way-merge')` or `var merge =
> > require('merge-patch-file')` or `var merge =
> > require('merge-functional-transforms')`.  Better discoverability,
> > better readability, better debuggability.
> >
> > I believe that this technique will work for the next several hundred
> > million modules, at least.  There's a lot of english words, and the
> > upper limit on folder name length is very high on most operating
> > systems.  (On windows, it gets hairy, but Node uses UNC paths by
> > default, so it's fine.)
> >

> >> But, since *some* people do want to use gh paths I think it's improper
> >> to tell us all that we're wrong and that this is life and we should
> >> live with it or keep our projects in our closets because we don't like
> >> obscure naming.
> >
> > I'm not telling you that you're improper for using github paths, or
> > that you have to keep your project in your closet.
> >
> > I'm saying that the npm search is not going to index anything that
> > isn't published to npm.  I believe that this is a reasonable
> > constraint.  Want to be in npm search?  Pick a name that isn't taken,
> > and publish to it.  Pretty reasonable trade-off, I think.

> [...]

Marco Rogers
marco.rog...@gmail.com | https://twitter.com/polotek

Life is ten percent what happens to you and ninety percent how you respond
to it.
- Lou Holtz