I've come to the  same conclusion Meteor, Pusher and you have and that
SockJS is the way to go. I'm reluctant to use engine.io having experienced
socket.io from the same group. How long  has socket.io 1.0 been ready ready
to release? Last I checked the socket.io repo master branch doesn't even
work and has not been updated in months.