I haven't seen usage statistics but for what it's worth (non-quantitative
but a personal view) there are several you can probably trust to stay
around if you have a look at who's behind them...

My favourite is Jade by visionmedia / TJ Holowaychuk - the same guy behind
Express. EJS is more 'traditional' and also a visionmedia project.

I seriously doubt these are rarely used or in danger of dying out if you
look at the support they have (popularity of github projects, plugins for
IDEs, etc)

Swig also seems very good and broadly used, based on the very popular
django templates syntax...

The other suggestion I have is that some template engines support similar
syntax and features (e.g. Jade is similar to HAML, Swig is a port of Django
templates, Handlebars uses the same syntax as Mustache, etc.) so you could
pick a popular syntax and, if your engine of choice falls behind in the
future, there may be a compatible alternative you can switch to without too
much trouble.

Finally there's a good list here -
http://paularmstrong.github.io/node-templates/ - by Paul Armstrong, who's
behind the swig project.