This isn't directly responsive to your question of usage statistics, but I
really like one of the top performers, doT <https://github.com/olado/doT>.
It is short (~125 lines of code), dependency free, very fast, and easy to
customize with whatever delimiters you like ({{ }}, <% %>, etc.), allowing
for relatively easy transition to/from whatever other template engines
you're familiar with so you won't suffer much lock in from choosing it.