On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 3:42 PM, Nuno Job <nunojobpi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> While I agree with the sentiment in most of this email I would argue Streams
> are not backward compatible. There's an effort so that what was coded in 0.8
> still works in 0.10, but it's impossible to code things that work in both
> 0.8 and 0.10 without different code. Might seem minor, but since I found
> this in the crypto api i would argue it's something that should be tackled.
> As we reach newer versions of node 0.8 compatibility will be less of a
> problem, but fore now most production systems are in 0.8 or 0.6 and this has
> delayed people adopting 0.10. By having less people use newer versions, it
> also makes maturity take longer.

Yes, that's why I posted the followup, explaining that I meant "as of
v0.10, streams are going to remain backwards compatible".  Meaning,
streams3 is mostly indistinguishable from streams2, except that it
fixes some of the irregularity and some weird edge cases, and is
faster.

When I speak in the present-tense about Node, I usually mean "The
version that hasn't been released yet" (ie, v0.12).  When most people
speak in the present tense about Node, they mean "The stable branch
that came before the current release" (ie, v0.8).

It's all about where your head's at.  Working on a platform, you tend
to live a bit in the future of that platform :)