Thanks Scott, that thread was very helpful.

I think I get it now, but it does seem to me that executing the callback
synchronously in the particular ways I've been doing it is ok.  If I were
following a convention like:

function connect(cb) {
    process.nextTick(cb);

    return {
        foo: function() {
            console.log('foo!');
        }
    };
}

function foo() {
    var client = connect(function() {
        client.foo();
    });
}

foo();

.. then I totally see why we need to use nextTick there.

But I guess I'll change my public libraries to use nextTick() just in case
someone uses them in a strange way.

Thanks again,

Bryan