On 8 Dec 2013, at 18:24, // ravi wrote:
On Dec 7, 2013, at 12:25 PM, Bradley M. Kuhn <bk...@ebb.org> wrote:
rather than speak in the abstract, why not consider the actual proposals made that I was referring to: transfer of NodeJS to Apache or Eclipse. Are either of these public charities? Did I misread the Apache web site when I listed that the ASF is sponsored by a number of profit-motivated organisations?

The ASF accepts donations and they come from profit-motivated organizations too:
http://apache.org/foundation/sponsorship.html

Current sponsors:
http://www.apache.org/foundation/thanks.html

However one cannot donate to a "project" but only to the foundation. In example, it is not possible to donate to Apache Log4j. The foundation would take the donation and spend it where it thinks may fit best. Mostly this is some infrastructure.

Also, I am not certain that “influence” can be defined clearly enough to regulate the effect of sponsoring entities. I do agree that a level of indirection is obtained by introducing a regulated foundation between sponsors and the project. I differ, perhaps, in my inability to see a problem in the arrangement, as it exists today (one mostly well-reasoned blog post with a couple of ill-chosen words/hypotheticals does not a nuclear winter make!).

In all the time i have been at the ASF i have not seen a company having direct influence. All committers are individuals first. In some cases some individuals are paid by an company. But this is usually no harm because every committer/pmc member at a project has the same voice.

The ASF board will step in if a company tries to abuse a project. I have seen this one time.

Please let me know if you are having more questions.

Cheers,
Christian

Regards,

        —ravi