On Dec 8, 2013, at 12:36 PM, Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In all the time i have been at the ASF i have not seen a company having
> direct influence. All committers are individuals first. In some cases some
> individuals are paid by an company. But this is usually no harm because every
> committer/pmc member at a project has the same voice.
>
> The ASF board will step in if a company tries to abuse a project. I have seen
> this one time.
>
> Please let me know if you are having more questions.

Christian,

thank you for the detailed response. I hope you understand that my intention is
not to launch a discussion here of the ASF and its working, and certainly not
its integrity.

My previous message was worded poorly: I did not mean to suggest that we should
directly examine ASF and Eclipse, but rather, that these are two of the three
foundations proposed, and both of them are sponsored by for-profit
corporations. To restate my point: the single corporation sponsoring NodeJS
today has, to me, demonstrated significant ethical responsibility in its action
(if not in the choice of words or hypotheticals by *one* of its employees).
While that is arguable (and being argued about), there has been no argument
made that said corporation, Joyent, has used its sponsorship to influence the
technical direction of the project. In such a situation, I do not see corporate
sponsorship as a litmus test that compels a move from single direct sponsor to
multiple indirect sponsors.

I’ll make these my last thoughts on the matter on this forum. I will direct
future responses to individuals, if necessary (and welcome!).

Regards,

        —ravi