you would have to check the size but you can browserify the ws module as
mentioned on their page and use their client connect, the api is a little
different. https://github.com/websockets/ws#browserify-users

another alternative if you are concerned about the size of the module is
rolling your own, mdn actually has a nice tutorial on that.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/WebSockets/Writing_WebSocket_client_applications#Availability_of_WebSockets

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nodejs/1adcedd0-bf8e-4493-871a-cf9ebb0bedf7%40googlegroups.com.