Am Di., 14. Feb. 2023 um 02:47 Uhr schrieb David Bremner <da...@tethera.net>:

> Michael J Gruber <michaeljgruber+grubix+...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > That is really weird:
> > ```
> > xapian-delve -t G0000000000021229 .
> > Posting List for term 'G0000000000021229' (termfreq 115, collfreq 0,
> > wdf_max 0): 146259 ...
> > ```
> > with 115 record numbers, all different.
> > Doing `xapian-delve -1r` for each of them and grepping for the G-lines
> > gives 115 times that correct thread id.
> > Grepping for the Q-lines and notmuch-searching for the message ids
> > gives only 5 results (the expected ones). Apparantly, there are bogus
> > mail records which that thread points to.
>
> 1) Do those "bogus" records have a "Tghost" term? That would be for
> messages that are known via references, but not actually in the local
> database. This is a bug / feature of the current implementation, it
> counts all messages known, whether or not local copies exist.

Yes, the extra ones all are ghosts, and I slowly remember that they
scared me in the past already ...

These ghosts appear to be pretty common. It happens all the time that
I am joined to an existing discussion thread where I do not have all
references. I'd go as far as to say that counting ghosts as thread
members makes this useless for me. On the other hand, notmuch's own
count gets this right. And getting different counts is even more
confusing.

> 2) Do they have more than one G term? That suggests a bug somewhere. We
> actually have a test in the test suite [1] for that, but of course that is
> with a simple artificial database.

No, they all have one. But their sheer number looks suspicious: those
5 "real" e-mails have maybe 20 reference headers in total, and some of
them refer to some of those 5. Grepping the account store for those
references gives me around that number. Where do the 110 ghosts (90
extra) come from which this thread points to? Still scared by them ...
we need ghost busters!

Michael