To close the thread the following worked for me for compiling NOX 0.4
(OpenFlow-1.0 wire-compatible version) on Ubuntu 10.04:

g++ version:
g++ (Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5) 4.4.3

packages:
sudo apt-get install automake m4 libtool openssl libssl-dev libboost-dev
libboost-filesystem-dev libxerces-c2-dev python-dev libboost-thread1.40.0
libboost-serialization-dev libsqlite3-dev libreadline-dev python-sphinx
python-simplejson libboost-test1.40-dev libboost-all-dev libxml2-dev

patches:
In addition, I also had to apply the attached patch.

Thanks,
Nikhil