It seems obvious that a discussion and some decisionmaking is needed on
this issue at some point, though I'm not sure how interested anyone is
in having that day be today.  It certainly was not my intention to kick
that off. :)

Let me clarify my thinking a bit.

First off, we have the following:
1) The chassis ID TLV is currently being abused a bit by NOX
2) .. and things aren't working right (with some DPIDs)

These are two evils.  The intention of my patch is to lessen the amount
of evil in the world by doing the following:
A) Resolve #2 by actually working right
B) Maybe abuse the chassis ID TLV a bit less (a very secondary concern)
   by using a "local" type which other things may be less likely to
   misinterpret

So my primary question is: does it accomplish this?  Does anyone see any
way in which it is WORSE than the situation we currently have?

Secondarily, is there an advantage to us "standardizing" a bit here?  If
you think the System Description TLV is a suitable place for it, okay.
Could we at least format it as a hex string with a distinguishing mark
like my patch does for the chassis ID (e.g., "dpid:a0b1c2d3e") rather
than jamming eight random bytes into a field meant to "contain an
alpha-numeric string that is [a] textual description"?

-- Murphy