Assuming you're installing a route along multiple switches, all of them except
maybe one should probably have an empty (0xffffffff) buffer_id.  This doesn't
seem like it should be the problem.

I can't even hazard a guess without knowing more about the situation.

What version of NOX are you running?
What kind of switch?
What does the NOX log show?
Can you provide a capture of the OpenFlow traffic between a switch that sends
an error and the controller?

-- Murphy