You are right Murphy,

in the case of simplerouting, I receive error messages by all switches along
the path except for the first (as it is the only having a non empty
buffer-id for that packet). I didn't know that those OF errors could be
ignored.

I solved also the question for the send_openflow_packet() instruction. Since
the reason of my packet-in events is "explicitely send to controller", then
packets are never buffered in switches.

However I've a little question more: When I configure the action
OFPP_CONTROLLER using ofp_action, is there a way to tell the switch to send
the whole packet to the controller, using the
ofp_action::set_action_output()?

Thank you very much

2011/10/17 Murphy McCauley <jam...@nau.edu>

> Assuming you're installing a route along multiple switches, all of them
> except maybe one should probably have an empty (0xffffffff) buffer_id.  This
> doesn't seem like it should be the problem.
>
> I can't even hazard a guess without knowing more about the situation.
>
> What version of NOX are you running?
> What kind of switch?
> What does the NOX log show?
> Can you provide a capture of the OpenFlow traffic between a switch that
> sends an error and the controller?
>
> -- Murphy
>
> On Oct 17, 2011, at 6:33 AM, andrea simeoni wrote:
>
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I'm trying to run the simplerouting component, and found that when
> installing the route it receives "Malformed packet error" messages back from
> the switches.
> > The same happens when calling send_openflow_packet(..).  If i go in
> wireshark to analyse the controller->switches openflow packets, I find that
> the field buffer-id has "None" value in both cases.
> >
> > Any suggestions? How can I make things working properly?
> >
> > --
> > Andrea Simeoni

Andrea Simeoni