Hi everyone!

I posted a new IMPORTANT UPDATED VERSION this morning at:

http://www.noxmail.com/imail/noxbeta.zip

There are no documentation changes this time.

What is new is that I added a new way of evaluating complex filter patterns.

This allows us to add a single line like (this is psuedo code):

if message contains ("nigeria" OR "zambia" OR "congo" ) AND contains "bank"
and contains "your account" and contains "million" then IT'S A SPAM!

All of this is done in a single pass, and speeds up processing. It also allows
us to assign higher scores to certain patterns when we can be certain that
message is spam when certain complex patterns is matched.

This also has the side benefit of lowering scores (and false positives) of
messages that innocently have words in them that are sometimes characteristic
of spams.

I tested this over the holiday and I was able to determine that with a few
test complex patterns in our own pattern files, we were able to correctly
identify and stop a significant number of spams tha would have probably gotten
through with high but not failing scores. Also, I tried moving a couple of
words that are most often caught in a false positive into complex patterns and
that eliminated that problem as well.

We are going to start updating the pattern files today to reflect the new
capabilities. It will not break anything on your end, but I would STRONGLY
recommend installing the new NOXMAIL.EXE as soon as possible as some of the
patterns will not be recognized by your version, and some may be gone.

Also new in this version; if you have killscores set to delete messages, and
the killscore you have defined is reached during scanning, the scanning
terminates. No sense kicking a dead horse. On our server, this amounted to an
average ~20% savings in processing time for failed messages.

Also new is a new NoxStats.EXE. Some additional stats are now provided.

-Brian

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by Solid Oak Software]

Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/nox-list%40mail.noxmail.com/
Removal address: [EMAIL PROTECTED]