Hi everyone,

I discovered late yesterday as we were adding some complex patterns to the
pattern files that under certain conditions, conditional definitions were not
being checked if they contained more than 2 optional sections. In other words,
some of the more complicated complex patterns might return a false positive.

It was a simple fix, it was just a function that had a counter loop exiting
too soon.

http://www.noxmail.com/imail/noxbeta.zip

I also changed the way complex patterns are recorded to the log file. They
were previously recording the actual pattern. This made it hard to debug and
see what the matches actually were. If a complex pattern is matched now, the
actual matching portions of the complex pattern will be logged and enclosed in
curly braces {}. An ampersand, &, separates the individual matches. This makes
it a lot easier to determine exactly what caused the message to fail.

This post is not a critical fix, and whatever false positives that might occur
probably would fail anyway so I seriously doubt that any legit email would be
caught. I would however, recommend replacing your NOXMAIL.EXE with this one,
as we will be converting more of the "marginal" literal word and phrase
patterns into complex patterns to improve their accuracy and lessen the
possibility of false positives.

I will also be working on the blacklisting docs today and over the weekend.
You will be able to create your own complex patterns and the documentation
will provide more detailed information on exactly how they work. They are
really quite useful especially in situations where you know that messages
containing a certain number of normally innocuous words are spam.

-Brian

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by Solid Oak Software]

Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/nox-list%40mail.noxmail.com/
Removal address: [EMAIL PROTECTED]