Hi Tom,
After searching the ns-list archives, I found help with the x86_64-unknown
problem.

> > 1. Edit otcl-xx/config.sub and tclcl-xx/config.sub. Where "| x86 |"
appears
> > you must put "| x86 | x86_64 |", i.e, x86_64 is added. In a similar
way,
> > where "| x86-* |" appears you must put "| x86-* | x86_64-* |".

This took me a little further and now I have a new error:

checking for tclsh... /home/ssita/ns-allinone-2.27/tcl8.4.5/unix/tclsh
configure: error: Installation of tcl seems incomplete or can't be found
automatically.
Please correct the problem by telling configure where tcl is
using the argument --with-tcl=/path/to/package
(perhaps after installing it),
or the package is not required, disable it with --with-tcl=no.
otcl-1.8 configuration failed! Exiting ...
Please check http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-problems.html
for common problems and bug fixes.

The solution for this seems to be to compile pieces of tcl, tclcl, otcl
and tk individually. No matter what the order, the interdependencies are
never resolved. Can you or anyone else with experience on compiling for a
64-bit machine help me out?
Thanks,
Sita