I see this quite a lot during development.  What I think is happening is that
the program is creating an error during execution but this is not being trapped
properly and the 'error report' is left running in the background so you are
not aware of it.  When you shut down the program it appears to close but the
error problem actually causes part of it to 'hang' in the background.  Then
when you try and run a second time it thinks it is still running and simply
goes into the part that is still running in the background trying to report the
error.

Sometimes, if you go into the Settings and check on running programs it is
there and can be shut down remotely.  Sometimes it is not shown and the only
option is a reboot.

I haven't found a solution to this other than using BYE and MSGBOX to isolate
which routine is causing the problem.

Al