Chris,

A choyte is a grace note slurred onto the pincipal note. Uillean pipe
'cuts', typically from a note one step away, or highland graces,
typically from the other end of the chanter - in either case without
closing the chanter in between - are choytes alright, and should be
avoided.

 The way of playing a grace note separated from the main note as on Tom
Clough's recordings, is typically to sound them *before* the note they
decorate - taking time away from the note before. You don't want to lose
time. So if the note before is a quaver, replace it with a semiquaver,
giving spare time for another semi, your grace note. Again this is
different from a UP-type cut, which is accented, falling on the beat,
taking time from the main note.

We should ask Chris Ormston for a more detailed comparison of gracing
styles on different instruments in the Northumbrian, Highland and Irish
traditions.

John

PS Would 'tickle' be a less offensive term than the intentionally
derogatory word 'choyte'? Just asking....