On 31 May 2006, Gibbons, John wrote:

> One gets the impression that if Clough had had more (any?) input into
> the NPS tunebook, it would have looked very different.

Unfortunately not. I think he was asked for input, as he was on the
earlier 1931 Fenwick tutor reissue, but the politics of the situation
were such that many of his opinions were ignored for both
publications.
Although a polite and considerate man, even by the standards of his
time, Clough held definite and well-thought out views on many piping
matters. When he found himself in disagreement with the first
organisers of the NPS, he declined to become a vice-president in
order to avoid awkward situations with those who at the time would
have been regarded as "his betters".
Arguably these people thought they knew better.

 He may not have
> been that happy with what was produced, either.

He noted in his copy that some tunes were "good ones" (mainly the
ones that you would expect!)

> The sets of variations on graph paper you can see on FARNE must have
> been prepared with publication in mind.

The graph paper sets (of which there are far more than are on FARNE)
are certainly some of his later work, and I surmise they were
possibly produced around the time of the NPS tunebook. I don't have
all my field notes to hand so can't remember exactly what the status
was. Clough was certainly intermittently employed from the General
Strike in 1926 and through the depression years, so may have had more
time to write things out. With his father Henry very elderly, it
would be nice to think of the two of them collating versions which
Tom then copied out as tidily as he could. (It is probable that Henry
only learnt to read & write as an adult)
The other possibility is that they were produced for or with Mr
Kennedy North, who might have been in a position to publish them.

They are certainly some of the more considered versions, but are not
always easy to read, because of the way he notated them. I found the
graph paper didn't help, either, for some of them, though the scans
on FARNE are fair representations of the originals.

Hope this helps
Julia