<Is there much theory of German plurals at all?
Or do you just have to look them up?

Certain types of noun are consistent (e.g. those ending in -ung or -schaft) but
generally it's a can of würmer.

<I think we can ignore the related but irrelevant meanings

Sorry, just replying to the Rev. Clifford.

< - if meaning affected how plurals formed, languages would be very different
things....

Yes, of course meaning doesn't affect how plurals form, but the reverse can be
true.
Example:

Die Bank - the bench or the bank (as in natwest barclay's midland lloyds)
Die Bänke - the benches
Die Banken - the banks

Btw, I hope the dieresis comes through correctly. A "dieresis" is the mark (two
dots above a letter) used to indicate, inter alia, the process of umlaut, and
is colloquially known as an "umlaut". This is a sort of parallel to "drone
(process)" versus "drone (pipe)"

chirs

John