Thanks for your comments, Sheila.  Firstly I'd like to say that being away
from Northumberland is not the disadvantage it's sometimes perceived to be.
People often think there's a hotbed of piping, with virtuosity to be heard
in some pub every night of the week - it's not like that!

The Clough tradition is the only handed-down tradition we have evidence of -
the rest is hearsay - and as Julia has already illustrated, the other
respected pipers of the 20th Century can be directly linked to the Clough
tradition.  People often think of the NSP tradition as being "folk music",
so anything goes, but Forster Charlton's description of the approach while
the Cloughs were active tells us that learning our instrument was taken as
seriously as any classical instrument, and why not, unless you're not up to
scratch?.

As a young piper I was subject to the myths of the time = NSP were a rare
instrument, difficult to play, and their mysteries closely guarded by a
compact group of Northumbrian shepherds. Jack Armstrong was the standard to
aspire to because, well, he himself had told people so, even though Pauline
Cato's interview with Bill Stafford now informs us that Jack wasn't fond of
Northumbrian music.  I could digress here into a debate about the relevance,
in the 21st Century, of patronage from Percys, Trevelyans, Blackett-Ords and
Charltons. Shew's the Way to Wallington?  - erm, No Thanks!  Anyone care to
bite??

My own mission, when teaching piping, is to cut out the sentimental view of
much of the 20th century and to avoid learners wasting time in the
associated musical cul-de-sacs.  Unfortunately there continue to be
sentimental lies broadcast by individuals who seek to earn their living from
piping, and copying of their styles by those who should know better but see
a fast buck in the making.

I'm glad that recent research has finally supported the gut feelings I had
when I started playing 32 years ago.  Unfortunately this new knowledge
challenges the schemas of many who were sucked in by sentiment and myth, and
I fear there will be a few broken hearts on the journey to the truth.
Still, if you can't stand the heat.........

Chris
"This is going to hurt me more than it will hurt you"

PS Sorry to ramble - been in the......
http://chrisormston.com/Documents/Bridge_End.pdf