Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2008 10:57 AM
Subject: [NSP] Re: Not Choyting - advice please

Oh dear - that wasn't what I meant at all! Just an honest appeal for information which seems to be common knowledge to many, but obscure to me, and I gather, others too. Because I don't know who is truly Outside The Pale I might get the wrong idea, and start thinking wrong things about absolute heroes/heroines.

I really didn't mean to muddy the water, but I would just be interested to know who is considered a good role model, and, yes, who is considered not so, by those who have a lot more knowledge of the nsp's than I do, so that at least I can make up my own mind. I don't promise to be orthodox, and I reserve the right to my own musical judgement, but it would be useful to know, and might save a lot of time, and perhaps money in buying CD's. I have to admit that when people come up to me at events where I'm working & want to know about playing particular early instruments, I have been known to quietly suggest certain outlets which might be better treated with caution, just to save them wasting their money, but I'm not going to stand up & shout about it. My off-list reference was to save anyone having to Name Names in public, which would be embarrassing.

I hope this isn't offending anyone, or getting into more politics. Music doesn't deserve that.

Richard.

So a whispering campaign?

Is this really a good idea?

Francis