Dear Peter,

When I came into piping very few pipers could play together because of wide
variations of pitch so when I took up pipemaking I determined to establish a
standard pitch with my pipes. As the pitch was between F and F# I chose F as
the standard as at least it was a key that was reasonably friendly to other
musicians if they wanted to join in. However I was up against a prolific
pipemaker just up the road called David Burleigh whose pipes were consistently
sharp on F: not F# but about 20 cents sharp on F and like Canute gave way to
the waves and tide I had to accept I couldn't succeed. In fact the sharper
pitch is preferred by most pipers so it just meant putting a slightly sharper
reed in the chanter. I have made chanters with the holes drilled to give a true
F# for those pipers who really want to play a higher pitch instrument apart
from going the whole hog and playing in G

If anyone wants to play exactly in F it is just a question of adjusting the
reed as the hole positions can remain the same so it is up to the pipers and
not the makers to set the standard which in the majority of cases will be sharp
on F.

Colin R