Hello Peter and others.

I agree absolutely with your suggestion and would advocate the use of standard pitches only, whether D, F, F# or G.

The course of instrumental pitch is a complex and controversial one. Unfortunately, the history of woodwind and brasswind making is plagued by examples of instruments whose pitch differed from the prevailing one because individual makers or groups of makers thought it was a good idea at the time. These instruments are not representative of their period and are now curiosities.

The difference between F and F +20 cents is sufficiently wide to sound musically unpleasant without providing any pleasing tonal advantage. Many people like the tone of chanters raised by the full semitone to F# and I am one of them. This is of course equivalent to the old G and is very close to the pitch of original chanters made by the Reids whose design forms the basis of all subsequent NSP making. This traditional pitch is heard to great effect in the wonderful playing of Adrian Schofield.

I would be very surprised if NSP makers did not eventually move to the standard F that you suggest. Chanters in other standard pitches are perfectly acceptable and seem to provoke no controversy.

Francis