I've never found the verbalisations of rhythms particularly helpful -
but that's just me. And I did once know about spondees and trochees
(didn't James Thurber illustrate these rather brilliantly?)  but it
became surplus info many years ago.

Faced with a tune that I'm not sure is a rant or reel - either one
out of a book, or one of my own - I sandwich it between two tunes of
known rhythm that I can play in appropriate style and see how
seamlessly they join up.

So for example for a rant I might play Cheviot Rant (an archetype if
ever there was one,  composed in the C20), then tune X, followed by
St Cuthbert crossing the Rhine, a modern but very classic rant
written by that fine tunesmith, Mr Ormston.
I don't use Morpeth Rant (first published around 1780-ish, I believe)
since I find that is capable of much wider interpretation.

For reels I use the Hesleyside for one.

I base the sense of whether the tune is one or the other on my
experience of dancing them, and of playing with, or listening to,
experts in their various fields.
Knowing the tunes and having danced them before playing the pipes
apparently puts me in a minority, and at an advantage, I realise
that.

Like John, I hope we don't get down to standard tunes, though a list
of essential tunes for beginners is very useful as a guide, and is
the basis of the "First 30 tunes" book which will be coming out
shortly.

Like Chris, I am concerned at some of the material now being
preferred by players. There is a difference between "playing music on
the Northumbrian smallpipes" and "Northumbrian piping", and the
latter must not get swamped by the former or the tradition will be
gone. That said, there is nothing wrong with good music on the
Northumbrian smallpipes once in a while, provided it is an informed
choice by the individual.

My twopennorth
Julia